Monday, December 9, 2013

A New Tradition





Problem:  You've lost that Christmas feelin'

Solution:  Neighbor Boy Christmas Trees in Apex


I haven't had a real Christmas tree in over 20 years.  I'd totally lost that Christmas feelin'.  Each year I'd throw up my fake tree and decorate in a hurry just to get 'er done.  

BUT…this year is different.  This year, with a little encouragement (read: harassment) from friends, I decided to dive back into the real tree world.  I was hesitant at first…ya know, having to water and clean up fallen pine needles and the sticky sap…yuck!  

Then my kids got into the idea and you know how that goes...can't disappoint the kids at Christmas!  So I decided to go for it.  And if I was going for it I was going to go big...the full experience...not just the parking lot at Home Depot.  



I decided to hit up Neighbor Boy Christmas Trees in Apex.  I'd driven by so many times and the place looked festive so I figured I'd give it a shot…not to mention it was small business Saturday so hey, I was doing something good too…bonus!




We walked in and immediately were greeted by one of the owners, Val Creager.  She and her husband Dave have been in business for 14 years and what they are selling is not just trees, it's the Christmas spirit.  It's the real deal, folks.

Val offered us hot chocolate and told us to go look around while she whipped some up.  Before long we were sipping delicious hot chocolate and had our tree picked out.  

I thought - ok, that was pretty cool.  But then Dave stepped up and really got the kids involved.  First he cut off a piece of the tree trunk and gave it to my daughter.  It smelled soooo good and she immediately made plans to create something crafty with it.


Little pieces of tree trunk

Next Dave took a picture of all of us around our new tree. Making memories...cool.  Then, he put the tree on a shaker...it looks like this:


Tree shakedown

And he told the kids to hold on to the tree...and the thing shook like crazy and they laughed hysterically. Finally it was time to bag the tree....once again Dave got the girls involved and they pulled the tree through the netting machine thingy which looks like this:


Carley and Liv bagging the tree
Carley and Liv bagging the tree


....and they just thought that was the coolest thing ever.  We hung around and chatted with Dave for a little while and it was obvious that this is not just some job he does, it's a passion.  So I asked him a little about why they do this and he said his mission is to make people feel the Christmas spirit....to slow down and soak it in...to enjoy the experience rather than drive up, dump a tree in the car and take off.

Now THAT is cool!  In a time when we are rushing around multitasking and spending more time texting than talking, it was nice to slow down....to enjoy the moment...to feel like Dave and Val cared about us and our tree and about Christmas.  It was a small town thing like you'd see in an old movie.  


Dave, Val and the kids at the Christmas tree lot

I have found my new Christmas tradition...my kids' tradition...my Christmas tree lot.... the one my kids will remember when they are grown up.  For my family, it's Neighbor Boy Christmas Trees all the way!  

Oh, and if you want to save a little money this year on a tree, check out their Facebook page for a $5 off coupon www.Facebook.com/Neighbor.Boy.Tree.Lot (see the 11/27 post on their page)

If you want to save more money next year, pre-order your tree and get a big discount!  Ask about that when you're there.  


Neighbor Boy Christmas Tree Lot

1008 Davis Drive
Apex, NC 27523
919-422-0216


And remember, if you are buying or selling a home, contact me!  Heather Petrovich, “Raleigh RealtyMom
THE Realtor for Parents




1903 High House Road
Cary, NC 27519
Phone: (919) 274-2499
Email: hpetrovich@fmrealty.com



2 comments:

  1. Woo hooo! We love Dave, Val, and the whole Neighbor Boy Xmas Tree Lot! You're right, Heather, it is an EXPERIENCE and a great one to savor.

    ReplyDelete